Giorgio Scopa was born in Padua in 1924 to a mother from Cadore and a father from Abruzzo, Michele Scopa, who had a distinguished army career, serving in both World Wars. At the end of World War II he left his diplomatic and military career and dedicated himself to his lifelong passions of philately and history. Giorgio, encouraged by his wife's family, who had traditionally traded in jewels, embarked upon a career in the jewellery business.
Later, in 1956, he took over a jeweller in Rovigo called "Oreficeria Giovanni Rigobello", a name he was to keep for some years, in accordance with the sales agreements. The choice to focus on customer satisfaction bore fruit, and he was awarded the "Quality and Courtesy" Award by the Union of Chambers of Commerce of the Veneto Region on three occasions. In 1982 Giorgio’s son, Lorenzo Scopa, changed the name from "Oreficeria Giovanni Rigobello" to "Gioielleria Scopa" and then opened a second shop in Ferrara and another more recently in Treviso. Today, Lorenzo’s son Michele has followed in his father’s and grandfather’s footsteps, working alongside his father in the family business, managing the store in Treviso with the passion that has been handed down to him from two generations.